Friday, October 01, 2004

...1st Presidential Debate 2004 Highlights...

Bush defended his decision to topple Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, saying the sacrifice made by 1,059 U.S. troops who have been killed in Iraq was "noble and worthy" and would make the country safer in the long term.

"We're being challenged like never before, and we have a duty to our country and to future generations of Americans to achieve a free Iraq, a free Afghanistan and to rid the world of weapons of mass destruction," Bush said.

Very early in the debate, the president conceded that he understood "everybody in this country doesn't agree with the decisions I've made, and I've made some tough decisions. But people know where I stand."

Again and again during the debate, Bush charged that Kerry's inconsistent positions on the Iraq war -- after voting for a congressional resolution authorizing Bush to use force -- would make it difficult for him to function as commander-in-chief, taking particular aim at Kerry's recent statement that Iraq was the "wrong war at the wrong place at the wrong time."

"The way to win this is to be steadfast and resolved," said Bush, who at one point cracked that the only thing consistent about Kerry's position on Iraq "is that he's been inconsistent."

However, Kerry insisted that despite the president's assertions to the contrary, "I've had one position -- one consistent position -- that Saddam Hussein was a threat. There was a right way to disarm him and a wrong way, and the president chose the wrong way."

Kerry said that the invasion of Iraq was an ill-conceived adventure that's "getting worse by the day" and has distracted the United States from the fight against terrorism, which Kerry insisted he could win to by fighting a smarter war.

"Smart means not diverting your attention from the real war on terror in Afghanistan against Osama bin Laden and taking it off to Iraq,'" Kerry said. "This president has made, I regret to say, a colossal error of judgment. And judgment is what we look for in the president of the United States of America."

Asked to enumerate those errors of judgment, Kerry said Bush didn't "exhaust the remedies of the United Nations" before invading Iraq, broke his promise that "he would go to war as a last resort" and "pushed our allies aside."

At one point in the debate, moderator Jim Lehrer asked Bush if the Iraq experience would make him more reluctant to launch preemptive military operations in the future. In response, the president insisted that he "never wanted to commit troops" but did so because "the enemy attacked us ... and I have a solemn duty to protect the American people."

That brought a quick retort from Kerry.

"Saddam Hussein didn't attack us. Osama bin Laden attacked us. Al Qaeda attacked us," he said.

Bush and Kerry agreed that the proliferation of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction were the greatest threat to the United States.

But they differed sharply on how to handle North Korea's nuclear aspirations.

Kerry said the U.S. should open bilateral talks with North Korea in addition to talks with the current coalition of nations -- the U.S. and five of North Korea's neighbors.

Bush said that was a bad idea.

"It's not going to work if we open up a dialogue with Kim Jong Il," Bush said. "He wants to unravel the six-party talks, or the five-nation coalition that's sending him a clear message."

North Korea has refused international demands that it dismantle its nuclear weapons program after agreeing during the Clinton administration to do so.

A second debate is set for October 8 at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, in front of a group of undecided voters.

A third debate scheduled for October 13 at Arizona State University in Tempe, Arizona, is expected to focus on economic and domestic policy.

A vice presidential debate is set for October 5 at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio.

9 Comments:

Blogger Quilled One said...

1) My post on Shark's topic was jestful; I stated so very clearly, and very plainly.

2) I never said you were too stupid to know when the debate was, nor did I say you needed me to show you the recap of it. I believe it was you who said the CONTENT didn't offend you, but the LENGTH of my last post was what irked you. I believe you will find that the length of both posts combined isn't even half the length of the Kerry post.

3) Not trying to stop me from posting what I wish on here? Pardon my choice of words, but...my ass, dude. Come on. Make up your mind; either it's "okay" for me to post topics about the election on here as long as I keep it bearable length-wise, or I'm not allowed to post about it at all. And if I'm not allowed to post about it here at all, then that is most definitely the opposite of letting me speak my mind and post what I wish. Why is it okay for others to post philosophical rants about love, forgiveness, life experiences, and personal thoughts, but when it comes time for me to post something I want, it is met with "you can't do that." Please, explain how that works to me; and while you're at it, also explain how that is fair and giving me an equal voice on this council.

4) So far, I'm unclear as to the 'rules' that dictate this Council. I believe Deadpool is the blog administrator; I haven't heard from him that political posts are not allowed. The only thing I've heard about is posting people's names, which I have adhered to per said request. I have also refrained from posting topics that are uber-long, and 'Pool never even said anything about THAT.

Friday, October 01, 2004 2:36:00 PM  
Blogger Deadpool said...

To Quill: You can't post here! :)

Just giving you shit. How can I get in the debate ay Wash. U. I would love to be present since it will be held locally. Let me know will ya.

comment,comment,comment,comment,comment,comment*wind chime,comment

Friday, October 01, 2004 6:14:00 PM  
Blogger Shark said...

Go Voice! that has been a point of mine for a while now.Do not be a parrot give us what you think!

Saturday, October 02, 2004 1:44:00 AM  
Blogger Quilled One said...

With all due respect, Voice, if you didn't care if I posted political topics, you wouldn't bitch.

Have you stopped to consider that maybe what Kerry says hold's salt for me, and points it out better than I could, and that's why I post it, because it IS my view?

You want my view? Fine. Here it is: Bush is an asshole, and he sends people like Shark to die in a war we didn't really need to get into. Kerry will be able to clean up Bush's mess. Kerry for fucking president!

However, Kerry states the WHY of the matter better than I could in a shorter amount of time. And you know, I posted the highlights because, as much as I wanted to, I missed watching the debate. I thought that others might have as well, so I was providing a recap for my fellow council members.

You don't like my posts, or don't want to read them, fine, then don't. If you don't want to read what I post because it's not from MY mouth, fine. But Deadpool said it himself, I am allowed to post what I please. If you don't like that, well...tough. Free speech exists in this Council. 'Nuff said.

Saturday, October 02, 2004 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger Daniel C. said...

Kerry and Bush both suck... I'm voting for Mickey Mouse

Saturday, October 02, 2004 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger Shark said...

Now now,My bieng here was needed,and so I came.These people here have been ass-raped by a visious dictator for the past what 15-18 years?I can not stand aside and just feel nothing for the innocent,those who are trying to make their country better and are getting killed for it by people from different countries that are only there to cause trouble.Do not cry for me,I will return and that is a promise that will not be broken!

Sunday, October 03, 2004 1:54:00 AM  
Blogger Quilled One said...

Dante: Whatever your puffing on has seriously afflicted your brain.

1) I find it funny that because I support Kerry and am against Bush, you automatically think I'm a mindless drone and aren't thinking for myself. Get a clue, man...it's MY opinion that Bush is a stupid idiot, who doesn't know how to run this country worth a flying shit; and that Kerry is the way to go.

2) What world do you live in where we have this great economy? I'd really like to know. Sure, things look great on paper in the wall-street journal. And I'm sure to people with any kind of secure job, the economy is doing well. But you stated something about letting the media do your thinking for you, and yet you base your 'good economy' view on numbers in the media and stock exchange? THAT'S ironic.

3) Mickey Mouse is a pussy. We want a president that's not just going to sing and dance around all the time. If we MUST have a cartoon president, go with Bugs Bunny.

4) Just for good measure, George W. Bush is the worst president ever. EVER. He's an idiot, he constantly makes the WRONG decisions about war, our nation, and everything else in between. THAT is MY opinion on it, not the 'liberal media' that you speak of. Bush has no solid plan to get us out of Iraq and let them run it themselves. He only has empty promises. Kerry wouldn't have gotten us into this war, however Bush fixed it so we no longer have a choice. Because of Bush, we're committed to this. And Kerry has a solid plan to set things right. As I've said before: Kerry might and might not be a better president than Bush in the long run, but at least with Kerry there's a chance he might be good; if Bush is re-elected, we KNOW for a 200% fact that we have a terrible president in office.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:16:00 AM  
Blogger Quilled One said...

Forgot to include this:

5) Shark, I understand that we're doing good over there. That's wonderful. At least something positive comes from Bush's mistake. When I say mistake, I mean rushing in without allies and without UN support and without a plan to get us out in a reasonable amount of time and get Iraq independently working on their own.

6) You can claim all day long that Kerry flip-flops. In the debate, what Bush pointed out to be 'flip-flopping' was Kerry saying, "Look, if it had been my call, I wouldn't have go to war with Iraq like you did; but thanks to you, our nation is now knee-deep in their shit, so I am going to fix it, and I won't be so inclined to fuck up like this in the future as you have now." Bush and Cheney put the 'flip-flop' spin on everything anyone says. It's really their only defense.

7) I'm seriously thinking of moving to Canada if Bush is re-elected. Bush IS an asshole, through and through. I have to tell you, if George W. Bush came up to me and tried to shake my hand, I would say, "I'm not shaking the hand of the most terrible president our nation has ever had. You're responsible for so many mothers without sons and children without parents." right to his monkey face, and walk away. Fuck him.

8) Buffano.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Deadpool said...

I vote for Bug Bunny. With Taz as either VP or Sec of Def. we would never be attacked again!


Bugs/Taz 2004

Wednesday, October 06, 2004 4:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home